Saturday 8 September 2012

Writing novels and making films about gender!

Hello! :-D

As many of you know, I have been writing a novel this summer about Pope Joan - the woman who in the 9th Century, disguised herself as a man and eventually became Pope. There is much debate whether Pope Joan really existed or whether she was a creation of post-reformation Protestants trying to ridicule the Catholic Church by saying that the institution of the Papacy was flawed and the fact that a woman made it to Pope proved this. (Personally, I think that a woman making it to Pope would be a great advertisement for the Catholic Church so that argument doesn't work for me!)

I do believe that Joan existed and like those who have written novels about her before me, I am fascinated by how she did it and all the questions about 'gender' that arise from considering how she lived as a man for over 20 years. 

But this is not the first time I have written about gender and examined the concept closely. In 2009, I wrote a short film script that challenged the idea of gender in an extreme but comedic manner. Whenever I talked to people about this script, they would be fascinated - it did not seem to matter how old they were, what religion or ethnicity they were or what sexuality - the idea for the film always provoked great interest and enthusiasm. So finally, in 2010-2011 I filmed and edited it. 

The film Caravan Sight is a comedy-drama with great characters who bring the debate to life in the most unexpected manner. Here is the film. I hope you enjoy it. 


I would love to get your feedback. Particularly those of you who are not from the UK - it will be of great interest to me to see whether the comedy works with a non-British audience! 

Very best wishes to you all

Rachel Dax



1 comment:

  1. BRILLIANT, TERRY AND JUNE WELSHING ON MARRIAGE AT THE WEEKEND.
    HUMOROUS AND CHALLENGING, NAUGHTY AND HORNY. QUITE AMIX OF EMOTIONS! GOT EXCITED, AMUSED, EMBARRASSED AND WANTED MORE. COULD RELATE PERSONNALY TO THE COMEDY AND TRAGEDY OF MY OWN REAL LIFE STORIES. LIKE YOUR STYLE RACHEL.WOULD LOVW TO TALK TO YOU SOMETIME AS I AM WRITNG AN EROTIC NOVEL BEST WISHES EVYLE

    ReplyDelete